Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Dollar Store- You have my heart AGAIN!

So if you have been reading my blog for a while, you already know that the Dollar Tree and I have a special relationship. My last great Dollar Tree find were these little Eye Spies/Finger Trackers that I thought of tons of classroom uses for....here's a picture and {link to that post}.....


Well, the Dollar Tree has my heart again. I give you....Sandwich Cardboard Coasters!!

I was so excited when I found these that I bought at least 8 sets.....I have no idea what I am going to specifically use them for, but they were just so stinkin cute. Also, my kiddos know I love to teach with food, so I figure this is a good compromise to using REAL food all the time :) Each set of coasters comes with nine cardboard photos of sandwich toppings, cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato....well just look at the picture below and you'll see :) 


There are so many ways to use these in the classroom and I figured that $1.00 was cheaper than printing out all of these pieces in color ink- although it did get me thinking about drawing Sandwich Clipart :) Here are just a few of the ideas that I thought of for these tasty treasures:

Writing Ideas:

*Technical Writing- Give students the pieces and have them as ingredients to help them write the steps for making a sandwich. Especially with younger kids, I think it might help them having the pictures and  pieces to put in a sequence first and then write the details with transition words and such :)

*Descriptive Writing- Give a group of students a set of coasters and have them work together to think of descriptive adjectives for each ingredient and then write a poem with them.

Math Ideas:

*Least to Greatest- Put numbers on each of the ingredient coasters with white labels and have students order them from least to greatest. The two bread pieces would be the least and the greatest numbers so it would be a good guide for our littlest learners. For older kiddos, it could help them see the concept of range. The range of the number would be the difference between the bread slices....all the sandwich topping in between the bread would be INSIDE the range of numbers. Then you could have students find the mean, median and mode depending on the numbers you choose for the coasters. 

*Build a Sandwich- Use labels to put a price on each ingredient (coaster). Have students come up with different sandwich recipes that add up to a certain cost. For example, they might have to create a $3.00 sandwich.... a slice of bread might be 50 cents, so they would need two slices for a sandwich (three slices for a double decker!) and then add multiple layers of the different ingredients to create a sandwich that adds up to $3.00. Does that make sense? I thought it might be a fun twist for practicing money. Hold the phone! THEN the students could do technical writing on how to assemble their specific sandwich creation. Math and writing combined....perfect!

What other ideas do you have for these coasters? If you share in my passion for a good deal and teaching with food, you won't want to pass these up! Post your ideas/grade level in a comment below!!

And no...Dollar Tree does not pay me for advertising....although they should :) Oh! I found these coasters on the bottom shelf of the wall with all the kitchen appliances. I only spotted them by chance...so you will have to look carefully so you don't miss them!

30 comments:

  1. I WANT! Those are sooooo cool! I'll have to head over to my local Dollar Tree and see if they're carrying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute and I love all of your ideas!

    Tracy
    Creekside Teacher Tales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to have to run to Dollar Tree tonight to get me some. Thanks for sharing!!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to go to the Dollar Tree now...like right now. Thanks for sharing!! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went to Dollar Tree and walked out with the Coasters and much more. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute!!!! What a great idea! :) I might would use them as visuals for paragraphs in a story (maybe without all the ingredients) with the bread being the intro and conclusion that holds in all the details! Then maybe label each ingredient as what the topic of each paragraph will be...?
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny! I happened upon these same coasters at the Dollar Tree as well... The first thing that came to me was a warm fuzzy childhood feeling from the early 70s--I am pretty sure my grandma had some almost like these back in the day. AND, of course, I too thought they would be a fabulous classroom material. I plan to use them as an alternative to a board game for two different math games. Students will collect sandwich pieces instead of covering numbers--building a sandwich. Thanks for sharing all of your ideas! The wheels are turning even more now... Now I need to pick up some googley-eye rings. Love your blog!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to take a trip to the Dollar Tree! There are always so treasures there. Thank you for the great ideas! I love your idea of using them to guide writing. That will get them going! Fun!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, I am in LOVE with those coasters!!! My first thought was a how-to using the coasters as manipulatives to help guided them with their writing!! Looks as though you've already thought of that one! :)

    Sounds like you've had a VERY productive spring break!! I am loving your newest clip art, just purchased it!! Can't wait to make something new with the sets!

    Surviving the Little People

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these! Love all your ideas, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've motivated me to stop at the Dollar Tree today. I would have never thought to use coasters to create a center activity for the children! I love the "least to greatest" math idea.

    Zoom Zoom Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  12. I FINALLY found these & am so excited!! I made them into the parts of a story to help my kids with their writing. Each piece was assigned a different element (setting, characters, problem, solution, etc...) & the kids will build a sandwich & create a story. You can see them on my blog if you want. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the inspiration!!! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are PRECIOUS! Kelly found them and I used her link to find YOU! I will be heading out tomorrow to find these for my class! (I really hope I can find them!!! Keeping fingers crossed!!) You two ladies have my juices flowing and offer some great ideas! Thanks for sharing. And by the way....I've been a Dollar Store addict forever!!!! I'm your newest follower!
    Angie@ monahanmonkeymadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too have a special relationship with the Dollar Tree. I bought a bunch of these as well and didn't know what to do with them. Heaven forbid my family try to set their drinks on them!! When I taught English, everyone HATED book reports. I come up the the idea to break it down into essential parts and we made book report sandwiches. I didn't have nifty coasters like your so I just drew them out on 1/2 sheet of paper and printed them on colored paper. Each layer was another element (plot, setting, etc.) When it was divided up into pieces, no one minded book reports anymore. Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... Bitcoin Revolution App

    ReplyDelete
  17. An article on the topic of excellent service that makes it possible to receive crypto payments in popular cryptocurrencies, owners of sites, online stores, etc. We give the opportunity to accept payment in cryptocurrency, for most popular CMS we have ready-made plugins. So, the process of installing a cryptocurrency payment method on a site will be simple and quick. There are also applications for iOS and Android, in which it is convenient to track the receipt of funds in accounts, and there is also an electronic wallet function. accept bitcoin

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: dWeb

    ReplyDelete
  19. thats best blog that is providing valuable content 49s result

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Bitcoin ATM Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  21. uk49s results
    A warm welcome to all the UK49s players of South Africa and the United Kingdom. Scroll down and you can find the latest official results number drawn today. The most world-famous game, which is totally different from other standard games that are played all around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. Bitcoin investment platform

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pleasant post! This is an extremely pleasant blog that I will absolutely return to more occasions this year! A debt of gratitude is in order for enlightening post. how to write a business plan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Find the Uk49s Lunchtime Results here after each game, and click the 'Prize Breakdown' button to get the full French lotto results and find out if you are a winner in either the main draw or the History 2021, Uk 49s Results from 2022

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great inspiring article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Herman Munster Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  26. Instagram can be deleted with ease and simplicity. Use a web browser or a mobile app to log into your account before using Instagram. To deactivate your account, use the profile options. Instagram won't prompt you to explain what you did if you don't finish this step.

    Readmore

    Instaguide.Info

    Android 13 is predicted for Motorola

    released a formal update timetable

    ReplyDelete
  27. YouTube has announced plans to provide 30-second, non-skippable advertising on its smart TV application as part of an effort to maximise the reach of its advertisements. Unless they have YouTube Premium subscriptions, users of YouTube's smart TV app will have to sit through complete 30-second adverts without the skip option, according to a recent announcement made at the YouTube Brandcast event. In a move that echoes Hulu's "pause experiences" function, YouTube declared its intention to begin testing adverts that are shown when a user pauses a video on a smart TV. With the "dismiss" button selected, these banner-style YouTube advertising that appear to surround the video can be dismissed. There was previously no information available regarding the precise release date of these modifications to YouTube's smart TV ad policy.



    Read more;

    Windows 11 update

    Samsung Financial Results

    New Andriod 13 Update

    ReplyDelete
  28. By producing its own micro LED panels for the iPhone, Apple is demonstrating its intention to control its own destiny. This bold step is intended to reduce dependency on Samsung components, according to sources from Nikkei Asia. In spite of technological advances, making this hardware is still a challenging task, especially in terms of cost. In spite of this, the Cupertino-based computer behemoth is adamant on controlling the entire production process, from concept to mass production. MicroLED panels are emerging as a major force in screen technology. They use less phone power and have a higher maximum brightness compared to other screen types like OLED. Additionally, because of individual pixel illumination, they offer improved contrast ratios, enabling more clear delineation between darker and lighter colours.



    Read more;

    Apps a smarphone should has.

    Microsoft Aim about XBox

    Windows Operating System

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Agreed to your research about expired domains. Yes, Google is approving the expired domains for News. But keep in mind the way back should be clear of that specific domain. However, here you can check the latest click here just after the draw look place.

    ReplyDelete